Manchester United have responded to Cristiano Ronaldo’s explosive interview with Piers Morgan.
The final snippet of the interview between Ronaldo and Morgan aired on TalkTV on Friday morning November 18, in which Ronaldo said he felt “provoked” by manager Erik ten Hag after he refused to appear on the last month against Tottenham and left Old Trafford before the full-time whistle.
Ronaldo also said he felt Ten Hag ‘didn’t respect him’ as he ‘deserved’.
Details of the interview first emerged when The Sun published quotes on Sunday evening, after which United said they would review their response “after all the facts have been established”.
The full interview aired in two parts on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and the club released a short statement about it.
“Manchester United have taken appropriate action this morning in response to Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent media interview,” the club said on Friday.
“We will not comment further until this process is completed.”
In clips released earlier this week from the same interview, Ronaldo spoke about his refusal to come on as a substitute against Tottenham in October after Ten Hag refused to include him in the 6-3 loss at Manchester City. at the beginning of the month :
“You don’t put me against Manchester City out of respect for my career and you want to put me three minutes against Tottenham? That doesn’t make sense.
“I think he did it on purpose. I felt provoked not only because of this game, but before. He doesn’t respect [me] as I should deserve.
“But it is what it is. That’s why probably the game against Tottenham I left.
“I’ll be honest with you, it’s something I regret leaving the stadium. [against Tottenham]. Probably, or maybe not, I don’t know.
“It’s hard to tell you 100% but let’s say I’m sorry, but in the same way I felt provoked by the coach.
“A coach to put me in three minutes in a game [is] not allowed for me. Sorry, I’m not that kind of player. I know what I can bring to the teams.
In part two of the interview with Morgan, Ronaldo also revealed he had rejected a €350m (£305m) offer to play in Saudi Arabia this summer and claimed he had ” many offers” to leave United.