A mass burial was organized by the Ondo State Government for 496 unclaimed corpses deposited in the mortuaries of the University of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital in Ondo and Akure.
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s special advisor for health, Dr. Francis Faduyile, said the decision was made after he and other government officials embarked on an assessment tour of morgues at the two health facilities. .
Faduyile said he watched in dismay at their bloody condition, adding that the facility had been filled with unclaimed bodies for more than a year.
He noted that due process was followed during the mass burial after advising the state governor through a memo of the need to decongest and rehabilitate the morgues.
“Mr. Governor did not hesitate to approve the memorandum to carry out the proposed mass burial activities, in order to avert an imminent outbreak of epidemic diseases in the state.
“In all (morgues), 87 bodies were identified/known with their name tags while 409 were unknown and a total of 496 bodies underwent mass burial.
“The 21-day ultimatum as published in print and electronic media began on August 1 and expired on August 21, 2022. Thereafter, preparations for the mass burial began.
“On Friday September 2, 2022, the collective burial took place, under the protection of security agents.
“The bodies were buried in a 10ft deep grave, 10ft wide and 18ft deep, on land allocated by the state government.”