Korean restaurant closed for ‘serving a couple a rat in their beef soup’ (Photos)
Gammeeok, a popular Korean restaurant in Midtown Manhattan, closed after failing a safety inspection with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
It comes after the Korean restaurant was accused of putting a rat in a couple’s takeout order.
According to Mail Online, Gammeeok failed a health and safety inspection after inspectors allegedly found rat droppings inside the Midtown Manhattan facility.
In a statement to multiple outlets, a spokesman for Mayor Eric Adams said health officials continue to investigate the restaurant and the allegations.
“Our top priority is to protect the health of New Yorkers and if any restaurant exhibits conditions that threaten diners in our city, it will be closed,” Fabien Levy said.
The owners of Gammeeok had pushed back against the allegations against their restaurant, even earlier this week posting footage of waiters preparing the couple’s food and claiming the pair were lying about their accusations.
According to sources who spoke with TMZ, health department inspectors found rat droppings inside the restaurant earlier this week.
The individuals claimed that the restaurant did not have a trained supervisor on site or did not have food stored at the correct temperature.
The restaurant would also not have the proper permits, which they had been warned about by Health Ministry officials in the past.
In a statement, Levy told the outlet that they were looked into immediately after hearing the disturbing allegations against the establishment.
“No restaurant in New York is allowed to have mice or rats on the menu and we are investigating further,” Levy said.
If they want to reopen soon, Gammeeok staff will have to correct the violations and pay any fines that have been imposed on them.
Signs posted on the restaurant’s doors show that they have been closed by the Ministry of Health. Another sign says they are also closed for “maintenance”.
The saga began after Eunice Lucero-Lee and her husband Jason Lee posted a shocking video and photos of their meal on Instagram on Monday.
In a stream of posts on Wednesday, the restaurant hit back at the couple’s claims, saying they made “no sense.”
The restaurant claims the couple wrote a review for another Korean restaurant six years ago, alleging they found “a big bug” in their takeout soup, but deleted it after their post went viral.