Four armed hunters arrested for attacking FCTA task force in Abuja

Four armed hunters arrested for attacking FCTA taskforce in Abuja

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has arrested four suspected armed hunters who attacked its task force in Abuja.

Men carrying guns and arrows attacked the task force team at Sabo Lugbe along the International Airport Road on Thursday, September 15, to prevent them from enforcing the ban on commercial motorcyclists .

The suspects also allegedly obstructed task force operations last week with guns and arrows, preventing the team from confiscating motorcycles and arresting its riders for violating route restrictions.

On Thursday, they again mobilized with firearms, but were demobilized by a large number of well-armed members of the Joint Task Force of police, army and other security agencies, who seized two locally made weapons from hunters and consequently confiscated 72 motorcycles. .

The Senior Special Assistant for Monitoring, Inspection and Enforcement to the FCT Minister, Ikharo Attah, explained that it was worrying that those authorized by the government to assist security agencies in the fight against insecurity have become obstacles to the application of the law.

Attah, who said that if the suspects fired gunshots threatening the task force, they were out of luck due to the heavy presence of security guards, who overpowered them.

He regretted that the incident happened as the team was making sacrifices to fulfill the dream of making Abuja a model city.

“The FCT Minister has given us a firm directive to remove ‘Okada’ from the airport road, parts of Area 1 and Kubwa. We law enforcement have always called for a broad ban, but the minister insisted we needed to justify our ability to remove them. That’s why we came today. We have approached zone 1,” he said.

“Last week when the Directorate of Road Traffic Services (DRTS) team came here, they were attacked by men here who identified themselves as registered hunters. The men insisted that no one transports from Okada near where they operate in. They fired all the Okada riders who were arrested.

“Even today, the same men quickly mobilized and fired on our team, insisting that no one will arrest any Okada from here. Thanks to the bravery of the security guards who were able to subdue them.

“Both of these weapons were recovered from hunters. We found this to be very concerning as registered hunters and vigilante groups are expected to work closely with the police and other security agencies. For them to prevent us from doing our job is something they have to tell the Commissioner of Police,” Attah said.

Also speaking, Operations Manager, DRTS, Deborah Osho, confirmed that 72 motorbikes were seized and a forfeiture order would be sought in court before they were crushed.

“We have approximately 72 bikes seized and operations are continuing. We will bring the bike to our office in Wuye and approach the court for a forfeiture order and the crush will take place,” she added.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.